Thursday

Now that the first fine layer of snow has blanketed my tiny island, I have been blessed with a sheltered place to sleep: the convent attached to my old grade school, still occupied by The Passionate Sisters of St. Paul of the Cross (the motto on their coat of arms: "I preach Christ Crucified"--- but don't let that fool you, they're actually a fun bunch!)



I don't actually sleep in the convent (I don't think anyone would be comfortable with that.)But alongside the convent by their grotto and prayer garden is a doorway with a heating grate next to it.And it's quite cozy for me and Brer Wolf.I fall asleep to the sisters chanting "Salve Regina" and wake up to the "Benedictus." In exchange for the shelter and a little food, when the sistera have gone to teach. I clean the convent grounds and chapel---- the same chapel where I served mass when I was 10.




It's kinda like my relationship with God: I don't bother him and he doesn't bother me, and we'll settle accounts down the road.And it's been quite a road.

No comments: